How to Apply
Application for Admission into 9th Grade
Dominican Academy attracts some of the brightest and most talented young women in the tri-state area. As a result, admission to D.A. is very competitive. The Admissions Committee strongly considers candidates who typically score in the top fifteen percent (85% or higher LPR in all sections) on the TACHS, HSPT, or CHSEE Exams, have above average grades (solid B/B+ average and above), and wish to strive for academic excellence in a Catholic, Dominican, college-preparatory environment.
Admission to Dominican Academy is based on the student’s scores in all sections (including achievement and ability) of the TACHS, HSPT, or CHSEE Exams and her 6-8th grade academic records (including both grades and standardized test scores).
1. Register to take your High School Entrance Exam: We strongly encourage all applicants to take the TACHS Exam, but will consider applicants who take the HSPT, COOP, and CHSEE Exams. Be sure to register by visiting www.tachsinfo.com, or by calling 866-618-2247. Registration for the 2020 exam is now open. The deadline to register for the 2020 exam is October 23, 2020. Please click here for additional information about TACHS Registration.
2. List D.A. on your TACHS exam: The 2020 TACHS exam will be administered virtually using a secure testing platform on Friday, November 6, 2020 in the Archdiocese of New York and Saturday, November 7, 2020 in the Diocese of Brooklyn and Queens. Interested students must indicate D.A. as one of their three choices on the exam. Our school code is 204. We give strong preference to candidates who list D.A. as their first choice; however, we will consider all first, second, and third choice applicants. Students from New Jersey or Long Island: We accept HSPT, COOP, and CHSEE scores, but experience shows us that HSPT, COOP, and CHSEE scores tend to be lower than TACHS scores. We suggest you take the TACHS if at all possible, especially as the exam will be administered virtually and can be taken from any location in Fall 2020.
3. Complete the online application and forward transcripts: For students attending a Catholic elementary school in the Archdiocese of New York or the Diocese of Brooklyn and Queens: Your current school will help you submit the student’s grades through the TACHS Applicant Record. For students attending a public, private, or non-diocesan school: complete Section A of the Applicant Record which can be found in the TACHS information booklet or on the TACHS website. Submit the Applicant Record to the student’s eighth grade principal, teacher, or counselor, who will then complete the remaining three sections and send the student’s records to Dominican Academy. We suggest you provide your teacher with a stamped addressed envelope. All students: Please be sure to complete our online application by clicking here. All materials should be submitted no later than December 11, 2020. Dominican Academy does not discriminate on the basis of race, economic situation, creed, or ethnic background.
4. Submit supplemental materials (optional): Supplemental materials such as personal statements, parent statements, resumes, and recommendations from teachers are often helpful, but not required to be considered for admission. You may submit these materials either electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org, by fax to 212-744-0375, or by mail clearly marked to the Attention of the Admissions Office until December 11, 2020 for review by our Admissions Committee.
5. Complete the financial aid form (optional): Families interested in the possibility of need-based financial aid must submit a financial aid form electronically through School & Student Services (SSS) no later than December 11, 2020. Only complete applications submitted on time with all required documents will be considered. Click here for more information about tuition, scholarships, and financial aid.
6. Await admissions decisions sent after 4 PM on January 13, 2021: All admissions decisions--including acceptances, rejections, and waitlist--will be sent by land mail and email after 4 PM on January 13, 2021. Please contact the Admissions Office if you applied and do not receive an admissions decision at 212-744-0195, ext 131.
Applying for Admission as a Transfer Student
Dominican Academy does accept limited numbers of qualified transfer students into the Sophomore and Junior years. Preference is given to students who have taken Latin. Senior transfers are rarely considered, except in the case of a student moving to New York from outside the area.
A typical transfer student will have excellent grades and show tremendous commitment to academic and co-curricular programs. If a student has not successfully completed credit at her previous school, she is not likely to succeed at Dominican Academy because of our rigorous academic program. There is no entrance exam for transfer students. Scholarships or financial aid are not available for transfer students.
The student must provide transcripts or report cards for her high school and middle school years. Standardized test results--such as the TACHS, HSPT, CHSEE, COOP, PSAT, SAT, or ACT--are required.
A student with suitable grades and her parent(s) will be invited to Dominican Academy for a personal interview. Accepted students must request the final transcript be sent from her previous school.
Please contact Ms. Madeleine Metzler, Director of Admissions, at 212-744-0195, ext. 131, or email@example.com regarding transferring to Dominican Academy.