How to Apply
Application for Admission into 9th Grade
Dominican Academy attracts some of the brightest and most talented young women in the tri-state area. As a result, admission to D.A. is very competitive. The Admissions Committee strongly considers candidates who typically score in the top fifteen percent (85% or higher LPR in all sections) on the TACHS, HSPT, or CHSEE Exams, have above average grades (solid B/B+ average and above), and wish to strive for academic excellence in a Catholic, Dominican, college-preparatory environment.
Admission to Dominican Academy is based on the student’s scores in all sections (including achievement and ability) of the TACHS, HSPT, or CHSEE Exams and her 6-8th grade academic records (including both grades and standardized test scores).
1. Register to take your High School Entrance Exam: We strongly encourage all applicants to take the TACHS Exam, but will consider applicants who take the HSPT, COOP, and CHSEE Exams. Register for the exam starting August 23, 2021 by visiting www.tachsinfo.com, or by calling 866-618-2247. The deadline to register for the 2021 exam is October 24, 2021. Please click here for additional information about TACHS Registration.
2. List D.A. on your TACHS exam: The 2021 TACHS exam will be administered virtually using a secure testing platform on Friday, November 5, 2021 in the Archdiocese of New York and in the Diocese of Brooklyn and Queens. Interested students must indicate D.A. as one of their three choices on the exam. Our school code is 204. We give strong preference to candidates who list D.A. as their first choice; however, we will consider all first, second, and third choice applicants. Students from New Jersey or Long Island: We accept HSPT, COOP, and CHSEE scores, but experience shows us that HSPT, COOP, and CHSEE scores tend to be lower than TACHS scores. We suggest you take the TACHS if at all possible, especially as the exam will be administered virtually and can be taken from any location in Fall 2021.
3. Complete the online application and forward transcripts: For students attending a Catholic elementary school in the Archdiocese of New York or the Diocese of Brooklyn and Queens: Your current school will help you submit the student’s grades through the TACHS Applicant Record. For students attending a public, private, or non-diocesan school: complete Section A of the Applicant Record which can be found in the TACHS information booklet or on the TACHS website. Submit the Applicant Record to the student’s eighth grade principal, teacher, or counselor, who will then complete the remaining three sections and send the student’s records to Dominican Academy. We suggest you provide your teacher with a stamped addressed envelope. All students: Please be sure to complete our online application by clicking here. All supplemental application materials (Applicant Records, Letters of Recommendation, Letters of Explanation) for prospective 9th grade students must be submitted by Wednesday, December 15, 2021 either electronically to email@example.com or by mail to the attention of the Admissions Office: Dominican Academy, 44 East 68th Street, New York, NY 10065.
4. Submit supplemental materials (optional): Supplemental materials such as personal statements, parent statements, resumes, and recommendations from teachers are often helpful, but not required to be considered for admission. You may submit these materials either electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org, by fax to 212-744-0375, or by mail clearly marked to the Attention of the Admissions Office. All supplemental application materials (Applicant Records, Letters of Recommendation, Letters of Explanation) for prospective 9th grade students must be submitted by Wednesday, December 15, 2021 either electronically to email@example.com or by mail to the attention of the Admissions Office: Dominican Academy, 44 East 68th Street, New York, NY 10065.
5. Complete the financial aid form (optional): Families interested in the possibility of need-based financial aid must submit a financial aid form electronically through School & Student Services (SSS) no later than December 15, 2021. Only complete applications submitted on time with all required documents will be considered. Click here for more information about tuition, scholarships, and financial aid.
6. Await admissions decisions sent after in January 2022: Dominican Academy does not consider race, religion, national or ethnic origin, or economic status when making admissions decisions or merit scholarship and financial aid decisions. All admissions decisions--including acceptances, rejections, and waitlist--will be sent by land mail and email no earlier than January 12, 2022. Please contact the Admissions Office if you applied and do not receive an admissions decision at 212-744-0195, ext 131.
Applying for Admission as a Transfer Student
Dominican Academy does accept limited numbers of qualified transfer students into the Sophomore and Junior years. Preference is given to students who have taken Latin. Senior transfers are rarely considered, except in the case of a student moving to New York from outside the area.
A typical transfer student will have excellent grades and show tremendous commitment to academic and co-curricular programs. If a student has not successfully completed credit at her previous school, she is not likely to succeed at Dominican Academy because of our rigorous academic program. There is no entrance exam for transfer students. Scholarships or financial aid are not available for transfer students.
The student must provide transcripts or report cards for her high school and middle school years. Standardized test results--such as the TACHS, HSPT, CHSEE, COOP, PSAT, SAT, or ACT--are required.
A student with suitable grades and her parent(s) will be invited to Dominican Academy for a personal interview. Accepted students must request the final transcript be sent from her previous school.
Please contact Ms. Madeleine Metzler, Director of Admissions, at 212-744-0195, ext. 131, or firstname.lastname@example.org regarding transferring to Dominican Academy.